The Canadian GP took place on the Gilles Villeneuve circuit, Monday (20/6/2022) early in the morning WIB. Max Verstappen, who started from pole, managed to keep his position after the start.
But with Verstappen leading the race, Red Bull lost another driver, Sergio Perez, on lap eight. Perez had gearbox issues.
Verstappen’s lead lasted long and he looked comfortable in the lead. But the entry of the Safety Car on lap 49 following Yuki Tsunoda’s accident made the situation interesting.
This race itself was colored by two Virtual Safety Cars (VSC). Verstappen entered the pits on the first VSC on lap nine when Perez had to pull aside, while Sainz remained on the track.
Sainz had just entered the pits for the next 11 laps when Mick Schumacher was unable to continue racing and stopped on the track. This gave Sainz the lead in tire terms and thus closed the distance to Verstappen, until the Red Bull driver pitted again on lap 43.
But the entry of the safety car on lap 49 was used by Sainz to change tires and give him a six-lap advantage over Verstappen. It’s just that Verstappen managed to keep his distance within the one-second range for the last 15 laps, to secure the win.
Lewis Hamilton took third place and returned to the podium after the Bahrain Grand Prix in the series opener. Charles Leclerc performed brilliantly to finish fifth after starting from 15th position.
2022 Canadian F1 GP Results
1. Max Verstappen Oracle Red Bull Racing 70 laps
2. Carlos Sainz Scuderia Ferrari +0.993s
3. Lewis Hamilton Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula 1 Team +7.006s
4. George Russell Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula 1 Team +12.313s
5. Charles Leclerc Scuderia Ferrari +15.168s
6. Esteban Ocon BWT Alpine F1 Team +23 890s
7. Valtteri Bottas Alfa Romeo F1 Team Orlen +25.247s
8. Guanyu Zhou Alfa Romeo F1 Team Orlen +26.952s
9. Fernando Alonso BWT Alpine F1 Team +29 945s
10. Lance Stroll Aston Martin Aramco Cognizant Formula One Team +38.222s
11. Daniel Ricciardo McLaren F1 Team +43.047s
12. Sebastian Vettel Aston Martin Aramco Cognizant Formula One Team +44.245s
13. Alexander Albon Williams Race +44 893s
14. Pierre Gasly Scuderia AlphaTauri +45.183s
15. Lando Norris McLaren F1 Team +52.145s
16. Nicholas Latifi Williams Racing +59,978s
17. Kevin Magnussen Haas F1 Team +68.180s
DNF Yuki Tsunoda Scuderia AlphaTauri 49 rpm
DNF Mick Schumacher Haas F1 Team 20 laps
DNF Sergio Perez Oracle Bull Racing 7 laps
Watch videos”RI wants to organize Formula 1, a race needs IDR 1.1 T!“
“Travel nerd. Social media evangelist. Zombie junkie. Total creator. Avid webaholic. Friend of animals everywhere. Future teen idol.”