Canadian health authorities said the visitor may have eaten food contaminated with poisonous aconite.
He explained that his party believed the poison came from two spice powder products that had been withdrawn from circulation. Aconite, a poisonous herb, can seriously affect the nervous system if ingested.
Also read: 10 residents of Cirebon were poisoned after eating rice tumpeng
York County Public Health Department said diners fell ill after eating a meal at Delight Restaurant & BBQ, located just north of Toronto.
Also Read: Dozens of Church Worshipers Poisoned After Service
According to the BBC, visitors went to a nearby hospital with symptoms similar to those of aconite poisoning. Most have recovered, while others remain ill in hospital and are improving.
Officials said they believe the accidental poisoning was caused by contaminated spices.
They have since sent the food and other samples to the lab for confirmation. The restaurant cooperated with the investigation.
Two products – galangal powder common in Asian cuisine and radix aconiti kusnezoffii powder traditionally used in Chinese medicine – have been pulled from retail shelves.
“Travel nerd. Social media evangelist. Zombie junkie. Total creator. Avid webaholic. Friend of animals everywhere. Future teen idol.”